Opelousas Senior High School

Skip to main content Welcome to the home of the OPELOUSAS TIGERS!
| Login
About Us » Principal's Message

Principal's Message

Principal's Message

 A History of Opelousas High School and its Principals

 

        The long history of the school parallels the city’s long and illustrative past, serving in prestigious capacity of the third oldest city in the state.  It is most befitting to chronolize the origins of Opelousas High and its principals.  Relive the legacy of a proud past and a promising future.

 

1893

St. Landry High School was created, the first public high school in the parish.

1894

St. Landry High School opened for grades 1-10 with an academy type curriculum.

1894

Dr. V.K. Irion was the first principal, a medical doctor.

1894-1896

Mr. Charles Shaffer was the second principal but first principal to have a degree

from an educational institution.

1895

First graduate was Isabel Lawrence Dupre, sister of Edith Garland Dupre

(ULL’s Dupre Library)

1896-1900

Mr. T.H. Harris was principal; later became State Superintendent of

Education in Louisiana.

1900-1901

Mr. Edwin F. Gayle became principal

1901-1916

Mr. W.B. Prescott became principal; became superintendent of St. Landry Parish;

St. Landry High School was named Opelousas High School.

1916-1919

Mr. W.C. Perrault – principal of the four year high school 8-11 grades;

superintendent of St. Martin Parish; became first Assistant Attorney

General of the state of Louisiana.

1919-1935

Mr. Paul D. Pavy became principal

1935-1940

Mr. J.H. Lafleur became principal

1940-1952

Mr. Paul D. Pavy becomes principal again

1954

OHS becomes accredited by SACS

1952-1968

Mr. Payne Mahfouz becomes principal

1952

OHS moves to Market St.

1957-1958

State’s 1st English Composition class started by Miss Maree White

1964-1965

OHS  moves to present site on Judson Walsh Drive

1968-1969

Mr. Richard Talbot becomes acting principal

 

*The pictures on the wall are pictures of principals who served in the present

OHS building.

1968-1971

Mr. Payne Mahfouz returns from leave.

1971-1982

Mr. Leroy Ortego

1982-1984

Mr. John Hurst

1984-1986

Mr. George Richard

1986-1992

Mr. Raymond Duplechain

1992-2000

Mr. Raymond Cassimere

2000-present

Dr. Rodney Johnson